LONDON — Anthony Joshua has taken the first step to heavyweight supremacy by knocking out Charles Martin in two rounds to win the IBF title.
Joshua took charge from the outset by backing Martin up with sharp rights to the head and body. The punches had Martin wary to risk any counter attempts. In the second, the southpaw Martin made the fatal mistake of lunging while working the right jab, allowing Joshua to drop him twice with straight rights in less than 30 seconds.
Martin mistimed the count on the second knockdown, giving Joshua the win with 1:22 remaining in the round.
“I’m only a quarter of the way there,” said Joshua, alluding to the fact three other belts remain in the division. “I know there’s still a lot of work to be done… I have to keep improving because you have people like Haye calling me out, Tyson Fury calling me out, all of them.
I come to knock people out. I just want to bring value for the money.”
What you see above you are the top trending topics just one hour after Joshua’s victory. Taking away the paid sponsor and “boxing” was the #1 trend worldwide. When is the last time we’ve seen that after a major fight? Sure, we seen the names of fighters trending, but never the actual sport. This says a lot about Joshua’s star potential. The heavyweight division is just begging for a new king and Joshua, along with guys like Luis Ortiz, Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder, have made this division very exciting.
- Get ready for Charles Martin vs. Chris Arreola, Gerald Washington or Dominic Breazeale on a PBC card sometime this year.
- Did Martin’s trunks shrink on the plane ride over? They look ready to split down the middle at any second.
- Shannon Briggs didn’t get a ticket? #LetsGoChamp
- Deontay Wilder is shaking his head that he could’t get his hands on Martin first.
5. Anyone that comes to the ring in Martin’s getup needs to get KO’d.
6. Is it too soon for another “Battle of the Undefeated,” this time between Anthony Joshua and Joseph Parker?