Posts Tagged ‘Boxing’

Rungvisai_GilBae_TKO

Srisaket Sor Rungvisai is not the man you want to face after a 15-month layoff. Young Gil found himself in this unenviable position and could offer little resistance to the WBC super flyweight champion before being dispatched under a barrage of southpaw left hands in round one.

The 38-year old Gil Bae last fought in April 2017. The rust was apparent as he looked unsure of himself under Rungvisai’s constant assaults. His attempts to protect himself behind a high guard were thwarted by Rungvisai’s well-placed body shots.

Rungvisai trapped Gil Bae in a corner and unleashed several overhand lefts. The referee called the bout as Gil Bae slumped to the canvas backside first.

The non-title affair was Rungvisai’s first since signing a co-promotional deal with MMA-focused One Champion. The Asian company will split their promotional duties of Rungvisai with Nakornloung Promotion. His first bout under this agreement will take place on October 6 with an opponent to be determined.

The new deal will cause Rungvisai to miss out on the September’s Superfly 3 card. Rungvisai headlined February’s Superfly 2 event with a Fight of the Year candidate and decision win over Juan Francisco Estrada.

Advertisements

Joshua-Povetkin

Anthony Joshua is returning to Wembley. The unified WBA/WBO/IBF champion will make the sixth defense of his titles when he faces Alexander Povetkin on September 22.

The fight marks Joshua’s first bout at Wembley since his 2017 Fight of the Year victory over Wladimir Klitschko.

Joshua’s last victory was a tactical unanimous decision over Joseph Parker to capture the WBO heavyweight title. Povetkin competed on the undercard and delivered a Knockout of the Year candidate with a left hook stoppage of David Price.

“I can’t wait to get back in the ring – the end of March feels a long time ago now,” Joshua told the BBC. “Povetkin is a serious challenge that I will prepare meticulously for. He has serious pedigree and only a fool would underestimate what he brings to the table.”

This will be Povetkin’s second world title shot, having dropped an unanimous decision to Wladimir Klitschko in 2013. Since then, Povetkin is on an eight-fight win streak with knockout wins over Mike Perez (TKO1), Carlos Takam (KO10) and Mariusz Wach (TKO12). He is the mandatory challenger for Joshua’s WBA title.

Ticket prices are expected to be announced in the next two weeks.

****

Count me as one of the people who didn’t delude themselves into thinking Joshua-Wilder was getting made this year. Outside of that, this is the best heavyweight fight Joshua could make.

Povetkin is very dangerous when he gets inside. Problem is, I don’t see the Russian being able to consistently work there due to Joshua’s thudding jab and improved footwork. More often than not, Povetkin will be caught in mid-range where Joshua’s massive right hand will be waiting.

In the meantime, Wilder can get his own WBC mandatory out of the way this fall against Dominic Breazeale. I fully expect both champions to get knockout wins and bring the anticipation to a fever pitch for the biggest and most historic fight for 2019.

 

TysonFury_seferi

Tyson Fury will continue his comeback on August 18 when he faces 33-year old former world title challenger Francesco Pianeta.

The bout is Fury’s second in a many months after ending a 32-month layoff in June against Sefer Seferi, scoring a fourth round corner stoppage.

Pianeta, who was knocked out in his world title challenges against Ruslan Chagaev and Wladimir Klitschko, is coming off a unanimous decision loss to Petar Milas on June 16.

‘Tyson had been out of boxing for a long time and Pianeta is a good opponent for what is Tyson’s second fight back after his break,” promoter Frank Warren told BBC Sports. “He needs rounds under his belt before moving on to the next level and this fight will do that and make him work for his win.”

The fight will be featured on the undercard of Carl Frampton’s defense of his WBO interim WBO featherweight title against Luke Jackson.

MunguiaWorkout4Smith_Hoganphotos2

Photo Credits: Hogan Photos/Golden Boy

WBO light middleweight title-holder Jaime Munguia held a media workout at L.A.’s Westside Boxing Club yesterday as he prepares for his July 21 defense against former belt-holder Liam Smith.

The fight is significant for Munguia on several fronts. One, he’s facing a fighter that’s a former opponent of Canelo Alvarez. Should be beat Smith more decisively, his profile raises among his countrymen and the wider boxing community. Second, a quick look at Munguia’s large frame lets you know he won’t have a long stay at 154 (remember, he was the original replacement option for GGG’s May bout before the Nevada Athletic Commission nixed it). That means Munguia will soon be mixing it up at 160. A strong performance likely means he maintains a high-ranking within the WBO, giving him a fast-track to Billy Joe Saunders or the eventual holder of that title.

Munguia echoed some of those sentiments in his statements to present media.

We had a sensational training camp. We have a great team, so I feel very good. The potential fight against Gennady Golovkin really got my name out there. It allowed me to get the opportunity to fight for a world title. I’m grateful for that. I’m also grateful that the NSAC didn’t allow me to fight against Golovkin because it lead to this world title.

MunguiaWorkout4Smith_Hoganphotos4

I’m always 100% ready. I got the call to fight Sadam Ali with only two weeks notice. The only struggle was to lose the weight, but other than that I was ready. I knew my advantage was my reach and my power. I knew that he was a smaller fighter. Those were the keys to my victory.

I feel very motivated now that I am a world champion. Everyone is going to talk about me after this fight. This will open up more opportunities, and people will mention my name with the likes of Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin.

I think that the only advantage that Liam Smith has is that he’s fought in big events before. But I have many fights under my belt. I have a lot of experience. I had over 100 fights as an amateur. All this experience gives me a lot of confidence when I step into the ring. Also, Smith might say that he’s a natural 154-pounder, but I want to tell him that I’m a natural 160-pounder who drops down. I’m very happy with the training camp we had and very confident about this fight.

MachadoWorkout_Hoganphotos2

On the undercard, WBA super featherweight titlist Alberto Machado takes on #1 contender Rafael Mensah. This is Machado’s first appearance since his shocking upset KO of Jezreel Corrales last October. Unlike most fighters, Machado believes the layoff was a blessing in disguise.

It’s been about 10 months since my last fight. But it served me well. It allowed me to get some rest and to work on some technical details that I needed to work on. I had been boxing 15 years straight, so it was a necessary rest.

Fighting on HBO for the first time was a dream come true. I used to gather my friends to watch Miguel Cotto, Ivan Calderon and Felix Trinidad on HBO, so this was definitely a dream come true. The fight against Jezreel Corrales was very tough. At first, he didn’t even make weight. I knew he had a lot more experience than I did too. But I brought out the spirit that characterizes us as boxer to walk away with the victory.

For this camp, I worked on strategy and technique. I had more time to travel to Los Angeles and work with Freddie Roach. During this camp, I really got to see why he is a Hall of Fame trainer. I got to see why he’s had so many world champions. On July 21, you will definitely see a new and improved Alberto Machado.

The card airs live on HBO July 21 from the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas.


With the threat of a purse bid looming, top middleweight contenders Danny Jacobs and Sergiy Derevyanchenko have come to terms to face off for the IBF title.

Jacobs promoter Eddie Hearn of Matchroom USA confirmed the news on Twitter. Hearn also revealed that the proposed fight will take place in live from New York on HBO.

Derevyanchenko is promoted by Lou DiBella, who added that the fight will be a co-promotion filled with verbal insults from the two outspoken promoters.

According to BoxingScene, the proposed fight dates are either October 20 or October 27. The fighters share a trainer in Andre Rozier and have sparred regularly throughout the years. However, Rozier has confirmed he will train Jacobs as their partnership goes back to Jacob’s teenage years.

Jacobs and Derevyanchenko will be challenging for the IBF title that was stripped from Gennady Golovkin for taking a optional May defense instead of facing Derevyanchenko, his mandatory challenger.

Derevyanchenko’s last in-ring appearance was a sixth round corner stoppage of Dashon Johnson in March. Jacobs is coming off of 12-round unanimous decision over Maciej Sulecki in April.

****

This is a very good fight and welcome news for a middleweight division that was in danger of stagnating. Everyone was waiting for Golovkin and Canelo Alvarez’s next move. It feels like guys are starting to realize they’ll bring more bargaining power to the table by securing high-profile wins. And what better win can you get than becoming a champion?

If Golovkin beats Canelo in September, it’s all but assured he goes after WBO title-holder Billy Joe Saunders. Whether Canelo wins or loses, he has an agreement to take a soft touch next against Spike O’Sullivan. That gives the top middleweights a good 6-8 months to make themselves relevant enough to earn a big money fight late next year. Let’s hope guys like Demetrius Andrade and Jermall Charlo follow suit.

Spence_Ocampo_knockout

Photo Credit: Amanda Westcott/Showtime

FRISCO, TX — It was a short homecoming. IBF welterweight titlist Errol Spence took the fight out of Carlos Ocampo with two body shots to score a first-round knockout at the Ford Center at The Star.

Ocampo looked to be a formidable challenger early in the round by timing Spence’s aggression with right hands. But Spence was undeterred, walking through the offense in a dogged effort to work the body. That singular determination paid dividends when Spence caught Ocampo on the ropes and thudded home a corking southpaw left followed by a right hook to the body.

Ocampo immediately doubled over on the canvas for over two minutes.

“I was a little disappointed. I wanted to give the crowd their money’s worth,” said Spence afterward. “I wanted him to sustain a bit and give him some punishment, but the body shot got him and I dropped him… called me the body snatcher.”

The win comes just one week after WBO welterweight title-holder Terence Crawford scored a dominant late stoppage over Jeff Horn. While public rumblings for that cross-promotional showdown are still in their infancy, Spence is targeting fellow PBC fighters.

“I want to fight the best,” Spence promised. “Danny Garcia and Shawn Porter are fighting each other (for the WBC title) and I definitely want to make that a unifying fight. We both have the same management, we both fight on SHOWTIME. Why not make that happen? I definitely want that fight whenever it’s available.”

****

With Keith Thurman inactive, you have to view Errol Spence as the consensus #1 at welterweight. I rate the Kell Brook win high and the destroying Lamont Peterson, a solid contender, is better than anything the other champs and contenders have done recently. Crawford passes the eye test, but his resume has yet to be established at this weight. I’d favor the naturally bigger Spence over him.

Going by the weigh-in pictures, I don’t see weight being an issue for Spence though the end of 2019. That leaves enough time for a decent chance at unifying all the belts.

Time for your guys to chime in — where do you rate Spence and who has the best chance to beat him at 147?

 

Errol Spence Jr and Carlos Ocampo

IBF welterweight champion Errol Spence Jr. defends his title Saturday night (June 16) against mandatory opponent Carolos Ocampo. But before the fight, the boxers meet for their final pre-fight ritual with today’s weigh-in. The live stream opens at 2 p.m. ET.