Today is the release date of Jay’s first authorized book, Decoded. Jay’s been blitzing the media as expected, and of course sat down with his home base of Hot 97 in New York City. Cipha Sounds and Peter Rosenberg (collectively Juan Esptein) got a great interview out of the Roc Nation CEO. They don’t just get a good rundown of his current projects, but his opinion on his contemporaries in the 90’s and old listening habits. Here’s some of the points that caught my attention.
– Jay-Z gives Prodigy credit as being one of the game’s best rappers during his early album run (Infamous, Hell On Earth).
– Big L’s Roc-A-Fella deal was done right before he passed. Saw a lot of crossover potential.
– Jay-Z got onto J Dilla’s beats through engineer Young Guru. But is interested in hopping on beats if they sound good.
– Jay had no idea about Diddy and Jay Electronica’s close relationship before the Roc Nation signing.
– Jay-Z’s big on HBO on Sundays, particularly Boardwalk Empire
– Believe “Takeover” is a much better records than Nas’ “Ether,” and states cites Ron Brownz’ beat as “terrible.” Thinks Nas diss popularized the whole “who had the best verse” debates on songs.
It’s well worth the full hour listen on your lunch break or chilling around the house. Big shout out to Miss Info for taking the time to upload this entire interview.
JUAN EPSTEIN’S JAY-Z INTERVIEW (11/15/10)