The fight that many doubted is now official. Four-division champion Mikey Garcia will seek to conquer another weight class when he takes on IBF welterweight titlist Errol Spence on March 16 at Dallas’s AT&T Stadium.
The pay-per-view bout was officially announced Tuesday evening at Fox Sports’s Premier Boxing Champions press conference.
In recent months, the two undefeated fighters were the subject of much speculation on their potential opponents. Garcia, who won at lightweight and junior welterweight in his last two bouts, had potential mandatories in both weight classes. Spence had been pursuing a unification matchup with WBC welterweight titleholder Shawn Porter.
Ultimately, those options paled in comparison to fighting each other in a superfight that pits two Top 10 Pound 4 Pound fighters against each other.
“I was serious about this fight from the very first time I mentioned it,” said Garcia. “I like that he’s a come-forward, action packed fighter looking for the knockout. That gives the fans their money’s worth.
“Some fighters that can be regarded as great champions don’t really give the fans exciting fights. They’re running around and that’s boring… I want to be a part of fights that people remember for years to come. “
Spence is currently on an 11-fight knockout streak going back to 2014. In June, he stopped Carlos Ocampo with a body shot in the opening round.
“I respect Mikey; he’s a real fighter,” said Spence. “He’s daring to be great and doing something that a lot of people think he’s crazy for. This is a legacy defining fight for both of us. It’s on PPV, at the Cowboys Stadium and will have a huge turnout.
“He’s a huge name and a four-division champion. This is a great opportunity to show my skills.”
Spence-Garcia will be the first joint pay-per-view venture between Fox Sports and Premier Boxing Champions. At press time, the undercard bouts are pending.