Fight News

The Showstopper? Matthysse vs. Garcia Confirmed for September 14

The wait is finally over...

Matthysse_Peterson

After months of false starts behind rumored drug testing and contract issues, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer has confirmed that Danny Garcia and Lucas Matthysse will face off for junior welterweight supremacy September 14 on the Floyd Mayweather-Canelo Alvarez pay-per-view undercard.

In a last-minute conference call conducted earlier this afternoon, Schaefer ended the speculation and noted the media for their relentless pursuit in trying to get the “scoop” on the breaking story.

“I wanted to give everyone the scoop at the same time. The big ‘One’ becomes even bigger,” declared Schaefer. “Floyd’s fights are the Super Bowl of boxing. Yes, it’s done. Danny ‘The Swift’ Garcia versus Lucas ‘The Machine’ Matthysse will happen September 14. ‘The One’ has got another ‘One.'”

As the days of July trudged on, many critics believed the idea of Garcia-Matthysse happening on the undercard wasn’t feasible with less than two full months before the September 14 date. In addition, others speculated manager Al Haymon, who represents both Garcia and Matthysse, would not want his clients facing other. The final roadblock was thought to be Garcia himself, who was pegged as “scared” of Matthysse due to being ringside for the Argentinian’s three-round KO of Lamont Peterson.

“A lot of media thought Al Haymon would never pull the trigger, but he did,” Schaefer praised. “These fighters are true modern-day gladiators. Garcia is not scared of anyone. He wanted the fight more than anyone. Those who said he was scared now have egg on their face.”

“We did not have to do this. The tickets are sold out and records are being broken. This is a ‘thank you’ to the fight fans and an attempt to bring new fans to the sport. Loaded pay-pre-view cards are a landmark of Golden Boy Promotions. This, among many things sets us apart from everyone… This is the most expensive fight ever put on as a second fight on a pay-per-view. It took a lot of negotiating and manuevering to get this done and that’s why it took so long.”

“This is the fight I wanted and the fight that I asked for. That is why I’m so happy this fight has been made and will be a part of this huge event,” said Danny Garcia. “I’m more confident than ever in my abilities and I’m going to show it on September 14. Matthysse is a good fighter and has a big punch, but I’m a talented fighter with what it takes to be a champion and stay that way. This is an opportunity for the world to see what I can really do in the ring.”

Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe was on the call and credited Mayweather as the catalyst for bringing this anticipated bout to the card.

“Floyd made it clear he wanted the best fights possible on this card,” Ellerbe explained. “This is a main event alone and a Fight of the Year candidate. Floyd is putting the sport on his back. This is just another step in the right direction of making boxing a mainstream sport.”

“I’m glad I finally get a chance to fight Danny Garcia,” said Lucas Matthysse. “This is the fight that the entire boxing world (especially my country Argentina) and I wanted. I want to thank my promoters Golden Boy Promotions and Mario Arano for making this fight possible. On September 14, I will show the world that I am the best 140 pound fighter on the planet.”

Garcia and Matthysse are expected to go on a short, three-city press tour (Los Angeles, New York, Puerto Rico) which may run into early August.

The fight will be WBA and WBC world titles.

************************

Time was ticking and I’m really glad they got this done. I hope the press tour doesn’t interfere too much with their training. There wasn’t anything said about a seperate All Access for this fight, but these two definitely deserve it.

With that said, my early pick for this fight is Matthysse by late TKO. Garcia will give a good account of himself and there will be some hellacious exchanges inside. Matthysse’s body-punching will again see him through.

Anyone else sad the “big announcement” wasn’t a return a J’Leon Love? Didn’t think so…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: