Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, Germany — Darren Barker will likely be forced into retirement after dislocating his right hip in a second round knockout loss to Felix Sturm last Saturday.
Making the first defense of his IBF title, Barker was exchanging power shots inside with Sturm before being wobbled and dropped by several overhand rights. Sturm was able to secure a second knockdown, and on both sequences Barker was observed favoring his right hip as he was unable to maintain balance, prompting his corner to throw in the towel.
“It’s a disaster – you’ll probably never see him in the ring again,” Barker trainer Tony Sims told Sky Sports. “His hip went in the first round when he threw a right hand. He came back to the corner and said ‘I think it’s gone, it’s hurting me.’”
Per promoter Eddie Hearn, Barker will take his time in mulling a retirement, as the the contract stipulations entitle him to a rematch with Sturm before summer 2014.
“If it’s as bad as we think it is I’m not sure he’s going to be involved in the rematch, and if he’s not involved in a rematch I would suggest that would make his decision for him,” Hearn confirmed.
The defeat snaps a three-fight win streak Barker had been enjoyed since suffering an 11th round TKO to Sergio Martinez in 2011. Sturm’s win marks his fourth middleweight title.